Tuesday 23 April 2013

Work in progress...

I like to dabble in different crafts. I always have. I think I have a bit of ADD when it comes to projects - since being in the US I have scrapbooked, made cards, knit, crocheted, made jewellery and sewn. I think just walking into JoAnn's gave me so many ideas of things I wanted to make. And it's slightly cheaper to get the materials over here, so that is a bonus!!
Anyway, on one of my visits to JoAnn's I spied some American themed fabrics - red, white and blues, stars, stripes etc - and I had a brainwave. I decided to make a quilt. Yep. A quilt. Hmmm. So, I bought a transformer for my UK sewing machine (with winnings from a Super Bowl sweepstake no less) and found a pattern I liked. Actually I found a ton of patterns I liked. I think I am going to be making a few quilts...I digress...  I finished off some other projects, waited patiently for visitors to vacate the guest/craft room, and this past week I finally got the courage to cut the fabrics, and start to sew up the blocks...

 This is how the layout of the quilt will be, and I am pondering whether to add some applique stars to some of the blocks, or to just leave them plain. And it's a bit bigger than I thought it would be...

So, now I had a pile of leftover material. I spent an evening cutting it all into 2.5 x 2.5 inch squares. I went and bought some muslin material for the background, and cut that into squares and rectangles.
This is how that quilt is coming along... I am using the Wiggly Whimsy pattern that I found at the Moda Bakeshop.

I am liking doing all this sewing. Next step is to find a even feed/walking foot for my machine so I can actually quilt them LOL.

In other news... Mark's parents came to visit, and we went to the St Augustine gator farm on Anastasia Island. We saw the gators being fed, and they are really fearsome creatures... I am really hoping one doesn't decide to take up residence in our back pond...


Mark and the kids decided to play about with my camera, and try a spot of Hadouken-ing. In their PJ's. In the front yard. Mind you, not as bad as my other half deciding that the driveway is a great place to do a spot of sunbathing...

 
 
My gardening exploits seem to have taken off spectacularly. I wanted to try and grow some herbs and try some tomatoes and chilli pepper plants... Well, just about every. single. seed has germinated, so I think I will be providing some herbs for my friends and neighbours...
 
 
I think that'll do for now ;) I'm off to get myself some lunch - egg mayonnaise in fresh baked rolls. Yep, I think I am turning into Barbara from the Good Life...
 
 
Sarah x

No comments: