Thursday 25 April 2013

New artwork

Wherever we live, we always try to pick up home decor pieces that remind us of that place. When we lived in Gibraltar, we bought lots of the rustic white and blue ceramics that were super cheap in the Spanish markets. We also bought a framed print of a painting of the Rock, and also acquired a large aerial photo of Gibraltar. Oh, and we also brought back a little boy, who was born at the Royal Naval Hospital Gibraltar. I think he is my favourite memento ;)
Fast forward to our arrival in America. In our shipping we brought copious Union Jack themed items for our new Florida home - Union Jack cushions and tea towels mainly. Oh, and a teapot. We have the archetypal "Keep Calm and Carry On" plaque. And a Union Jack photo frame. I have a couple of shopping bags, and an amazing bag with a pieced Union Jack flag on which was made by a friend of my Mum. But I didn't go completely overboard with the Britishness lol. And yeah, we have a few military pictures too... Planes and stuff.

So, we have been here 10 months, and I have been starting to look for things that will remind us of America when we go back home to Blighty. I have already spoken about my America themed quilts that are under construction lol, but I wanted something else. Something cool. Something American...

And I found it at World Market...


(See the Union Jack photo frame ;) )

I love it! It helps me and the kids with our American geography, and it looks cool!! I am hoping that when we get home, I can point out all the states we have visited. So far, that is just one. Yep, we haven't made it out of Florida yet. OK, maybe 2, if you count the weekend in D.C before we flew down here.... 

Here's to the start of a new collection.... of Americana....

Sarah xxx

No comments: